This meal just screams fall, doesn't it?! Temperature's might be droppin but my kitchen is a poppin. Ha. Seriously, this meal looks like it would be complicated but it is so simple, and easy to put together. I'm all about effortless meals that just look fancy.
Squash is in season so check out your local farmer's market or look for deals at your grocery store.
2 Acorn Squash
1 Package pre-cooked Spicy Chicken Sausage (choose organic/nitrate-free to keep this clean)
1 Bag Brussel Sprouts
Wild Rice (I use organic boxed rice because it's quick to prepare & comes with seasoning)
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Cracked Black Pepper
1. Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees. Cut acorn squash in half and scoop out seeds. Brush with olive oil, season with salt and pepper, and place face-down onto baking sheet. Place in oven.This will need to cook about 45 minutes.
2. While oven is pre-heating, start rice and cook per package directions. Standard cooking time is about 35 minutes.
3. Cut stems off of brussel sprouts and cut in half. Place on baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. 20 minutes into cooking time of squash, raise oven temp to 425 and place sprouts in oven. Cook both items for 20 minutes and remove.
4. After placing sprouts in oven, cut sausage into bite-size chunks, drizzle with olive oil and sear in a skillet over high heat.
5. Assemble dish using squash as a bowl. Layer rice, sprouts, and sausage. Season with salt and pepper to taste and enjoy!