Roasted Chickpea and Vegetable Bowls
Veggie bowls are my favorite plant-based meal at the moment. They are packed with nutrients and protein and bursting with flavor. The best thing about these bowls is they are so versatile. Ingredients can be swapped out or added to change this meal up enough to serve multiple times a week.
I used fluffy yellow rice as a base for this bowl, but it can easily be exchanged for quinoa, brown rice, or even replaced with a leafy green like spinach or arugula. Any roasted vegetable would be a great addition to this as well, so go ahead and clean that fridge out!
The roasted chickpea recipe was adopted from one of my favorite food bloggers over at https://peasandcrayons.com/ , if you're looking for more plant based deliciousness I highly recommend checking out her website. The roasted chickpeas are great alone as a snack too!
1 jalapeno, seeds removed and sliced
1 zucchini,sliced into discs
1 avocado diced
1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, cut in half
1 package yellow rice
Sea salt and cracked black pepper
1 15oz can chickpeas
1 TBSP avocado oil
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp paprika
1/8 tsp cayenne
1. Prepare rice according to package directions. While rice is cooking, prepare chickpeas.
2. Pre-heat oven to 400°F. Drain the chickpeas and rinse well. Pat the chickpeas dry, letting air dry for a few minutes as well. Toss in avocado oil and salt and spread out on baking sheet. Roast for 20-25 minutes, stirring halfway through cooking.
3. Heat avocado oil and saute zucchini in skillet for 7-10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
4. When chickpeas are finished, toss with remaining spices.
5. Assemble bowls by arranging cooked chickpeas, sauteed zucchini, avocado, jalapeno, and cherry tomatoes atop yellow rice. Drizzle with salsa verde, top with cracked pepper and sea salt and enjoy!!
Be sure to follow these guidelines for clean eating :
Have any veggie bowl recipes you love? Please share in the comments below!