Creamy Lemon Chicken and Artichoke
Don't you just love when a recipe blogger gets straight to the point?
Here it is. Read it, make it, eat it. Your taste buds will thank you.
3 to 4 pounds bone-in, skin-on chicken drumsticks or thighs
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 can artichoke hearts, drained and roughly chopped (can use frozen as well)
1 can full fat coconut milk
2 tablespoons vegan butter (or regular if you are not dairy-free)
Extra virgin olive oil
Cracked black pepper
1. Season chicken on all sides with sea salt, cracked pepper, garlic and oregano. I don't measure this out, I just sprinkle it evenly on all sides of the chicken.
2. Drizzle olive oil into large skillet, enough to coat the pan. Heat on medium-high until oil is hot. Add chicken and sear on all sides until crispy brown. More oil may be added as needed.
3. Transfer chicken to a large baking dish.
4. Add garlic to skillet and saute for 1-2 minutes.
5. Add coconut milk slowly to pan. Scrape any browned bits off bottom of pan while stirring. 6. Add artichokes. Season with 3 teaspoons oregano, 1 teaspoon Italian season, and sea salt and black pepper to taste. Add butter and bring to a slow boil.
7. Turn off pan, add juice of 1 lemon and stir. Pour sauce over chicken and cover tightly with (parchment-lined to prevent aluminum leaching) foil.
8. Cook at 400 degrees for 30 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
9. Serve with extra lemon, if desired.
I served this with roasted potatoes and vegetables. It would also be delicious over rice or noodles. A big hit for the whole family.